Sunday, December 6, 2009

SLIS 5420 Module 15 Dec. 7-10


Athletic Shorts
Six
Short
Stories
by
Chris Crutcher
Summary
This collection of short stories, while dealing with athletes, is not a "sports" book. Chris Crutcher deals openly and honestly with many taboo subjects and situations, as well as detailing the general pathos of being a young adult. The stories are told with humor and a sense of powerful realism.
My Thoughts
I normally don't enjoy short stories, but I honestly love this book. I can always tell a great book when I see myself nearing the end and I just don't want to get to that last page. After reading Athletic Shorts, I want to read everything Chris Crutcher has ever written. I guess I just love the honesty and lack of fear he seems to have in writing about topics that make people uncomfortable. Even though the topics are controversial, I don't get the "in your face" sense as I do from some authors who seem to have a goal of causing a firestorm. I like how he introduces each story and tries to give the reader background information or an explanation of his mindset as the author. I would really like to suggest this book to my students, but I'm a little afraid of parent reaction.
Reviews
The stereotype of jocks as insensitive dullards is challenged in stories that grapple with the big questions of life as well as with athletic prowess, told with good-natured aplomb and gritty reality."--School Library Journal
"If the stereotype of "bonehead jock" is ever to be defeated, it will be at Crutcher's hands."
--Publishers Weekly
Suggested Activities
Athletic Shorts offers endless possibilities for discussion, but one activity I might try is to have students write another version of "The Other Pin" from the viewpoint of Chris Byers. Since all of the stories center on male athletes, I think it might be interesting to compare the stories written by boys and girls from the perspective of a female wrestler.

No comments:

Post a Comment